UNIDO through its Regional Programme for Pollution Control in the Tanning Industry in South-East Asia has been actively looking for solutions to tackle saline tannery effluent. The following technologies have been tested at pilot scale demonstration units (PDUs):
- Mechanical / manual removal of excess salt from wet salted hides and skins
- Reverse osmosis (RO) of treated tannery effluent
- Improved (accelerated) solar evaporation
- Recycling of floats in the beamhouse
- Use of ultrafiltration in tannery effluent.
This report provides preliminary estimates of costs of setting up a multistage evaporation system for recovery of salt from the concentrate (reject) resulting from the Reverse Osmosis (RO) of treated effluents..